sounds of the space age

Monday, January 08, 2007

Oaxaca Oct. 31-Nov. 2

So once again I ended up in a heated discussion of tacos, and Mexican food in general, last night at the C&O. Millington, Parisi, Easton, Spencer and self would certainly have been ejected from any sensible French-style bistro for our tone if not for the fact that Farrell was tending the bar. At least three other parties have elicited this same response from me by referencing opinions I made public in this very forum recently. My fervor was so great last night that I declared that I am going on taco tour in Oaxaca for Dia De Los Muertos this year. Understand this: There is no better holiday on earth than Dia De Los Muertos (my own holiday "Happy Fucking It's Warm Day" is TIED with Dia [I'm sure you'll hear all about HFIWD when the spring comes on though if winter keeps up like this is might be next week][HFIWD is never scheduled. It depends on my whim, you see] but is not by any means SURPASSED by Dia). They make skulls out of sugar for Christ's sake! They hang around in graveyards for a holiday that, despite being a dia, is three days long! There is no better city for Los Muertos than Oaxaca, and incidentally, as if to prove the divine providence involved, Oaxaca is a great city for tacos. Never mind that this is set to occur in the midst of a destroyer of a semester. This is exactly the same way our trip to Morocco was conceived. Over whiskey at the CANDO. Rick Easton is on board even though he is apparently destined to die in Mexico (he felt a lot better about the whole thing when I explained that just because he's destined to die in Mexico doesn't mean it will be THIS time). That bastard has proven he won't back down. So who else is on board? Let's go lick sugar skulls and eat tacos and hang around the graveyards of Mexico! The only thing I have yet to do is buy the ticket and learn something in Spanish other than "I need three tacos al pastor please." Preferably something useful like "where is the store that will sell me tacos al pastor?""or sugar skulls"

1 Comments:

Blogger Stanley said...

I will totally fucking go to México and interpret for you guys. In exchange for my services, you can pool funds to cover my travel, expenses, and basic needs.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home