sounds of the space age

Sunday, August 20, 2006

yeah... i saw snakes on a plane

I don't really want to talk about the actual content of the film. I would rather comment on what motivated me to see it. I have caught myself saying things like "i really went to see Snakes on a Plane as sort of an anthropological experience. To see how those indigenous to the North American continent react to the infusion of such wealth that they have nothing to do but go en masse to see one of the stupidest films ever. or maybe to see how hollywood has created an interactive film writing experience by heeding the input of the internet". That's all cute and maybe partially true, but really i went to see the movie because as shitty as it may be, i wanted to be connected to other people. I wanted not to be the complaining curmudgeon who sees entertainment at a time like this to be counter productive and wasteful. I wanted to see if maybe there is something to just trying to enjoy yourself. My conclusion is that there is. My life has been off balance toward negativism of late. So, i went to see snakes on a plane. The cops came and stopped the film halfway and took a bunch of people out of the theatre for yelling and causing a problem. I was right there with the rest of the crowd who's feeling was basically "leave us alone pigs! this is snakes on a plane, not casablanca!". Then i started thinking about how absurd it is that while they haven't caught that rapist, the Charlottesville PD has six officers to spare to break up the rowdys down at the Seminole Square Snakes on a Plane showing. I guess some things are inevitable. That shit was off the hook, though. Samuel Jackson is the bomb. When he said that shit about getting the motherfuckin snakes of the motherfuckin plane, i was all like "Oh Shit!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Stanley said...

It would be exceedingly more ironic if cops broke up a rowdy screening of Casablanca. Nazi cops, with weak-kneed French toe-lickers.

I wish they would show Casablanca more often. I'd get rowdy.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home