sounds of the space age

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Nate Millington is Great

Nate Millington is one of my favorite dudes. I saw Nate a few weeks ago and he was like "oh yeah! I haven't seen you in a while! I was just wondering where you were!" He was so excited about the whole thing that i really felt loved. I think this is Nate's gift. He's always so excited about shit that you can't help but join him is his excitement. He somehow manages to avoid the pitfall of all optimists which is sounding stupid. Now, I'm not saying that i dont like optimists. I do. I even consider myself one of them deep down and would say that it is optimism that drives my pessimism, but they often seem sadly insulated from the shitty elements of the world around them. They close up as soon as you start to talk about how the world isn't such a happy place for some people and how maybe we all should get around to doing something about it. Not Nate, though; he's right there getting pissed off about the sad state of political affairs or the way drivers will run you off the road when you ride your bike or whatever. The difference is that Nate is excited and proactive, thus avoiding the pitfall of critics and pessimists, which is hopelessness and complacency. When he complains, his tone isn't caustic but rather disappointed. He is yin and yang in one neat (though often disheveled) package. He does not contend. Have you ever talked to nate about music? It's the best thing you'll ever do. No one is more excited about music than Nate. Even better is listening to music with Nate. A while ago we were at the Bistro and Chelsea put on the first Sabbath record. Nate was so happy. He exclaimed and danced. If i was gonna take a spaceship into space, never to return and i could only have a few people on it, Nate would definitely be there. Though i'm sure he'd have lots of useful skills that would come in handy, i think he would really just be there so that no one forgot that though shit gets rough and there's no denyin' it, all you can do it what you can. If i ever meet anyone who says they dont like Nate Millington, I will be instantly and irrevocably suspicious of them. You can't dislike Nate and though i don't see him as much as i wish i did, Nate is one of my top dudes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home